I’ve mentioned before that I believe everyone should have a handful of go-to recipes for a variety of occasions. Something for company, something for special occasions, a signature dish, a great dessert, and a killer side dish.
This is that killer side dish.
It started with making some simple foil packets with potatoes, onions, butter and seasonings when we would grill out, using a recipe I nicked from my mom. As time wore on I made more and more changes and eventually started doing it in the oven to save time when we would grill out with friends. It quickly became my most requested recipe and quite possibly the most anticipated dish at all our get togethers!
Since I cook mostly by sight and smell, it took some time to figure out the precise measurements of everything so that I could share it with you here.
- 8 to 10 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (I use the kind that comes in a jar)
- 1/4 cup imitation bacon bits
- 1/4 cup Italian dressing
- 2 teaspoons Lawry’s seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup Italian blend shredded cheese
- 1/2 stick of butter
- In a large casserole dish, toss peppers, potatoes, garlic, and bacon bits.
- Add Italian dressing and mix well.
- Toss with seasonings until evenly coated.
- Stir in cheese.
- Dot with butter (as shown below).
- Cover dish with foil.
- Bake at 450 degrees for one hour.
So there you have it!! I guarantee this dish will have your guests begging for more! Try it soon and let me know how you liked it!