Spring is here. The flowers are blooming, the grass is once again green, and the sun is shining…most days. As summer approaches I find myself thinking of all the wonderful things to come: barbecues, camping, swimming, long days in the sun, and nights spent on the porch. Like most of you, I love summer. However, there are definitely some things I will miss about winter.
I won’t miss the cold, or the busy holiday season, or falling on my behind when I slip on a patch of ice, but I will miss the following:
1. Going bra-less. Winter coats, heavy sweat shirts, and long days being snowed in mean that for most of the snowy season we can forgo the bra without anyone being the wiser. With the weather warming up, it becomes harder to get away with this (unless you were blessed with a small enough chest for those adorable strapless tops!). Summer means months of keeping the girls bound up…which is no picnic when the temps climb closer to the 100s!
2. Not shaving. My favorite part of winter? Being able to skip a date with the razor every now and then! This has never been more true than it is now. With a toddler who always insists on showering with me, shaving can be a major hassle! For the last few months I could hurry through my shower with no worries, knowing my legs and armpits wouldn’t be seen by anyone who isn’t required to overlook such a faux pas. Summer wear offers no such coverage, making shaving a daily chore. Yuck.
3. The bad road excuse. I’m a bit of a hermit. I love to hunker down in my hidey-hole with some warm blankets and good book, effectively shutting out the world around me. Social situations drain me quickly, and as much as I love spending time with family and friends, sometimes I just don’t want to leave the comfort of home. I’m not the kind of person who is good at saying “no”, so winter affords me the opportunity to back out of social obligations with grace. “Sorry, the roads are kind of icky and I don’t want to chance it,” is a perfectly acceptable excuse to get out of anything–and not have to get out of your pajamas!
4. Soups, stews, and chillis. There is nothing better than coming in from the cold to enjoy a warm bowl of one of these wonderful winter dishes while curled up on the couch in your favorite jammies and watching some old movie on the TV. That right there is ultimate comfort (are you sensing a theme here?). I imagine the awesomeness of this scenario could only be improved with the addition of a roaring fire. I love hearty, filling meals and as summer approaches the fare gets a bit lighter. This is definitely a part of winter I cherish!
5. Long sleeve shirts…and not sweating my make-up off. Okay, this one’s a twofer. I don’t know why, but all my favorite shirts are long-sleeved. Actually, now that I think of it, I prefer long pants too, and not only because of the no-shave coverage mentioned above. I just feel more put together. I don’t generally wear make-up unless I’m going to a big get together or something, but when I do, I don’t like to worry about sweating it all off…especially because I never take the time to touch-up or reapply.
As much as I will miss these amazing parts of winter, I’m looking forward to the relaxed pace of summer. Bring on the bathing suits, tanning oils, and flip flops, winter will return soon enough!